FRISCO, Texas - The Southland Conference, as part of its year-long 50th Anniversary commemoration, has announced its All-Decade Football Team from the 1990s. The team includes outstanding student-athletes from its member institutions from the 1990 season through 1999.
1994 SLC Freshman of the Year and 1996 All-American Jeremiah Trotter
A total of 89 former student-athletes make up the 1990s All-Decade Team, including honorees from each of the 10 institutions that were football members at during the period. The Southland continued to undergo membership change during the decade, developed the Southland Football League as a result, and maintained its status as a collective power in NCAA Division I-AA.
“The 1990s exhibited a strategic focus for the Conference as it formed the Southland Football League,” league commissioner Tom Burnett said. “The league maintained itself as a national power, and we continued to see outstanding individual and team performances though the decade.”
Stephen F. Austin’s players on the all-decade team include linebacker Jeremiah Trotter, an 11-year NFL veteran that played in Super Bowl XXXIX with the Philadelphia Eagles, and also earned four Pro Bowl selections. Another NFL veteran, former SFA receiver Mikhael Ricks, was a consensus 1997 All-American before his seven-year pro career with four teams. Defensive back Terrance Shaw was a second round pick of the San Diego Chargers in 1995, went on to a 10-year career with five teams, and played in Super Bowls XXXVI and XXXVII.
Punter Chad Stanley was a two-time all-Southland first-teamer and consensus 1998 All-American that enjoyed an eight-year NFL tenure.
Other SFA players include four-time first-team all-conference defensive back Cedric Walker, receiver Chris Jefferson, and offensive linemen Lee Kirk and Joe Wylie.
SFA Members of the 1990’s All-Decade Team
- Chris Jefferson, WR, Stephen F. Austin, 1994 & 96
- Lee Kirk, OL, Stephen F. Austin, 1995, 1995 first-team All-American (Walter Camp)
- Mikhael Ricks, WR, Stephen F. Austin, 1997, 1997 Offensive Player of the Year; 1997 first-team All-American (AFCA, AP, Walter Camp, Sports Network); 1998 2nd Round Pick of San Diego Chargers; 7-year NFL Veteran with Chargers, Kansas City Chiefs, Detroit Lions and Dallas Cowboys
- Terrance Shaw, DB, Stephen F. Austin, 1994 1995 2nd Round Pick of San Diego Chargers; 10-year NFL Veteran with Chargers, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, Oakland Raiders and Minnesota Vikings; Participated in Super Bowls XXXVI and XXXVII
- Chad Stanley, P, Stephen F. Austin, 1997-98, 1998 first-team All-American (AFCA, AP, Walter Camp, Sports Network, USA Today/ESPN); Participated eight seasons with NFL’s San Francisco 49ers, Arizona Cardinals and Houston Texans
- Jeremiah Trotter, LB, Stephen F. Austin, 1996-97, 1994 Freshman of the Year; 1996 first-team All-American (AFCA, Walter Camp, Sports Network); 1998 3rd Round Pick of Philadelphia Eagles; 11-year NFL Veteran with Eagles, Washington Redskins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers; Participated in Super Bowl XXXIX; Four-time Pro Bowl Selection
- Cedric Walker, DB, Stephen F. Austin, 1990-91-92-93, 1990 Freshman of the Year; 1993 first-team All-American (AP, Walter Camp, Football Gazette, Kodak, Sports Network)
- Joe Wylie, OL, Stephen F. Austin, 1995, 1995 first-team All-American (AFCA, AP, Walter Camp)